Tuesday, October 12, 2010

OCTOBER 12, 2010

I hope everyone had a happy and relaxing holiday. Thank you to all the students who returned last weeks homework. It may take several weeks for us to get into the routine of getting it in on Tuesday. If I have not received homework from your child I made a note on this sheet.
Homework:
Grade 1 and 2’s continue working on sight words: Please continue to work on the words, as well as the printing practice worksheet enclosed in folder. Grade 1’s are also reviewing the ‘m’ sound.
Grade 2: Grade 2's need to practice spelling the enclosed sight words: away, down, my, up we and I as well as the new list bat, cat, hat, mat, rat, sat and flat. Grade 2’s will have a spelling test next Tuesday.
Grade 3 and 4: Students continue to complete their handwriting worksheets. Complete a couple of sheets then practice what you learned on lined paper. Return all practice sheets for me to monitor. Students should also continue reading daily. After they read I encourage them to discuss the characters, setting, beginning, middle, and end of the story. This will reinforce what we are talking about in the classroom.
Grade 5 and 6: Students will complete 3 entries again. This time I request that at least one entry be a proper paragraph including a topic sentence, three supporting details and a conclusion. We have been using the hamburger model, which I have attached to the journal for quick reference.
EVERYONE SHOULD CONTINUE TO READ, READ, READ DAILY
In the classroom students in all grades had an opportunity to ‘read’ a procedural writing piece in the form folding instructions. Students folded fortune tellers, frogs, and paper cranes. I have assessed all the reading levels of the primary students. The following is a guideline of recommended reading levels
By the end of Grade 1: Level 17
By the end of Grade 2: Level 22
By the end of Grade 3: Level 27
By my assessment, your child appears to be currently reading at level: _______
Our target for January for Grade 1 students is level 8; Grade 2 students is level 17; Grade 3 students is level 22.
I will send home information to the Junior students in the near future. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to call.
Yours truly, Debbie Legault Be sure to check out the blog at www.mslegaultsclassroom.blogspot.com

No comments: