Monday, April 11, 2011

APRIL12, 2011

April 12, 2011

DEAR PARENTS/GUARDIANS,
Thanks you to all students who handed in their contest entry for the Waste Recovery Centre Recycling Contest. I will get those delivered and I will let you know as soon as I hear of any winning entries.


Just a reminder the Book fair is going on in the school this week April 11-15. Come on out and support the school by purchasing some of the excellent books available for the students.


Our character trait this month is Perseverance.


Homework

Students in grade 1 and 2 are invited to create their own journal entry/diary entry for our new friend Chippy. I have enclosed the worksheet. Students may decorate the page as they wish. I have reminded students to use their Pre-primer/Primer word lists to assist with spelling.

Grade 1 Diary entry Reading A-Z program

Grade 2 Diary entry Reading A-Z program


At a workshop on the PA day I was lucky enough to attend a workshop on the EQAO assessment and best practices. As recommended by the presenter, I am including all students in the EQAO Prep homework. It is no longer considered a grade 3 and 6 assessment, but rather a primary and junior assessment and the format and review will be beneficial to all students. I will introduce the work on the first day. Students bring it home to review with parents to give you a better idea of the expectations. Students will return their work on the designated day for review. I will then be able to address the gaps in their learning. I will begin this next week for the grade 1 and 2 students.


Grade 3 EQAO Prep/ Home reading incentive program

Grade 4 EQAO Prep/Home reading incentive program

Grade 5 EQAO Prep/Home reading incentive program

Grade 6 EQAO Prep/Home reading incentive program


Finally, another resource I was introduced to on the PA day is the Ontario Educational Resource Bank. It is a password protected web site with resources for teachers, students, and parents of students in Ontario District School boards. I will send home the user id and password in the newsletter. As it is an Ontario resource funded by the taxpayer, we have been asked to keep passwords protected. You can access the website at http://resources.elearningontario.ca.


Thanks for your support.


No comments: